St. Daniel SD 811, Barnsley Area
St. Daniel School was built in 1952 and reflects the last stages of one-room school design before the provincial Department of Education moved to massive school consolidation efforts in the late 1950s and through the 1960s.
The building is an excellent example of its type—a compact, attractive design, of wood-frame construction and stucco siding, distinguished by its clipped hip roof, bank of windows that generously lit the classroom, and small pedimented canopy over the door.
This was the third St. Daniel School, with earlier buildings from 1894 (of log) and 1902; that facility offered English and French instruction until 1910. St. Daniel ceased operations in 1966 and the school district was dissolved in 1968. The building is maintained as a community hall.
St. Daniel School was the only Roman Catholic bilingual school in the area. It formed before 1894. The first school was a log building, built on an acre of land on the NE corner of NW 16-7-5w. It was moved about 1895 to SE 30-7-5w. A new school was built in 1902; a third in 1952. The school closed in 1966. The building continues to serve as a community centre.