Second Boyne School 1892–1930
Second Boyne School 1892–1930

The first educator in the Boyne area is said to have been the Reverend H.J. Borthwick, an itinerant Presbyterian minister who held classes in local Salterville homes.

In 1872, residents of the area successfully petitioned for establishment of Boyne School District. A log school was built on NW 22-6-4w, on land donated by Robert Took. When it opened in 1878, the thatched roof log building became the first school in the Boyne area. It was known locally as Salterville School.

The original building was replaced by a frame structure in 1892 and a third school, with a concrete basement and coal furnace, was built in 1930. When the Midland School Division was formed in 1966, the school closed and students were bussed to Carman. It was designated a Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site in 1988.

In March, 2013 the school building was moved to a new location north of the Dufferin Historical Museum.

3rd Boyne school 1930–1966
3rd Boyne school 1930–1966
Boyne School
Boyne School Location: originally located at NW 22-6-4W, it was moved in 2013 to the Dufferin Historical Museum, 44 Kings Park Rd, Carman.

Designated Heritage Site

The one-room Boyne School, with its domestic proportions, hipped roof and raised basement, is a good example of one of Manitoba’s most popular standardized provincial school designs available in the post-World War I period.

Adapted from a 1912 cottage-style scheme, the school incorporates features that constitute a comfortable well-lit space, such as an obligatory bank of windows along one side of the classroom with transoms for air circulation, cloakrooms lit by side windows and a front storm porch. Saved through community efforts and used for social events, this designated place also is one of the few surviving examples in Manitoba of an intact country school site, complete with a fenced playground, flagpole and stable.

The site was designated on August 4, 1988, by the RM of Dufferin.

Location: originally located at NW 22-6-4W, it was moved in 2013 to the Dufferin Historical Museum, 44 Kings Park Rd, Carman.