During the 1870s and 1880s, the settlement of Pomeroy was located where the Missouri Trail crossed Tobacco Creek. As municipal boundaries were redefined, it was part of North Dufferin (until 1890), Dufferin (1890–1908), and finally the newly formed RM of Roland.
The settlement was the site of a post office and store, school, Pomeroy Methodist Church, a blacksmith shop, and Hardy’s general store. Mr. Bamworth made furniture and coffins and served as undertaker. When Newton School District (later Pomeroy School) was formed in 1878, classes were held in the church.