Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > A Brief History > Settlements > Graysville


Graysville

When the Canadian Northern Railway built a line west through Dufferin in 1901, “Grays” settlement grew up along the rail line on NW25-6-6w, seven miles west of Carman.

It was named after the landowner, George Gray; changed in 1919 to “Graysville”. A store was opened north of the railway line by James Bruce in 1903. This later became the location of the post office and a blacksmith shop was built nearby.



The first Grays School, also north of the rail line, was replaced in 1920 by a four-room school formed by consolidation with three rural schools (Orr, Lintrathen, and Almassippi). In 1967, further consolidation brought elementary students from St. Daniel, Stephenfield and Stirling to the school and high school students travelled to Carman. Completing the cycle of growth and decline, Graysville School closed in 2010. The original small school was used as a store and post office for much of this time; the post boxes are now preserved in Dufferin Historical Museum.

Two churches served the community over the years, All Saints’ Anglican (1907–66) and St. Paul’s United (1912-). Also still in use is the LOL Hall which was built in 1908, formerly the home of Branch 1514 of the Loyal Orange Lodge.

Until 1958, communities along this rail line had daily passenger service—west one day, east the next. Over the years, Graysville has had a station and a section house as well as Manitoba Pool and United Grain Grower elevators, seed-cleaning plants, garages and a curling rink.

See also:

Monuments, Cairns, Signs
Schools
Churches
Cemetries

Back to Settlements list