Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > A Brief History > Settlements > Bates Town Site


Bates Town Site

This settlement lay nine miles northeast of Carman. A school was built there in 1881 and named “Garnett” after a local family.

The community was known by this name until a post office was established in 1891 in the Bates’ home (28-6-3w) and the area officially became known as “Bates”. The settlement consisted of a store, Garnett School, the post office, churches and a blacksmith shop. The community was bypassed by the railroad in 1901 in favour of a route that ran one-half mile to the south. Bates Post Office closed in 1912 and local buildings and services moved to what became the village of Homewood.

This sign was erected in 2003 by the Carman/Dufferin Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee.

See also: Egremont Presbyterian Church, Century Methodist Church

Back to Settlements list or Settlements Cairns/Signs list