Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Heritage Sites > Certificate Sites > St. Daniel SD 811


St. Daniel SD 811, Barnsley Area

St. Daniel School was built in 1952 and reflects the last stages of one-room school design before the provincial Department of Education moved to massive school consolidation efforts in the late 1950s and through the 1960s.

The building is an excellent example of its type—a compact, attractive design, of wood-frame construction and stucco siding, distinguished by its clipped hip roof, bank of windows that generously lit the classroom, and small pedimented canopy over the door.

This was the third St. Daniel School, with earlier buildings from 1894 (of log) and 1902; that facility offered English and French instruction until 1910. St. Daniel ceased operations in 1966 and the school district was dissolved in 1968. The building is maintained as a community hall.


Back to Certificate Sites list