Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Heritage Sites > Certificate Sites > St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church


St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Carman

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, erected in 1898–99, is a powerful piece of architectural design, and a reminder of the ambitions of some congregations to lavish both finances and design skills in honour of their God.

The church, designed by Carman architect Edmund Watson, and built by Mr. R. McKinney, is an exquisite example of the architectural potential of the Gothic Revival style, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries nearly de rigueur for Protestant church designs. With its complex plan, animated roof form, variety of pointed-arch windows, and wealth of wooden features and details, the building is truly a hymn to the style.

Closed in 1941, the church has gone through many changes over the years, including the removal of its steeple (which now sits nearby), and is now used as a tea room


Back to Certificate Sites list