Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Heritage Sites > Certificate Sites > Graysville School


Graysville School, Graysville

Graysville School, which opened in 1920, is an excellent surviving example of the kind of substantial consolidated school building that started to go up in Manitoba in response to provincial Department of Education requirements that smaller school districts amalgamate in order to save costs. The school brought together students from the older Graysville School, and one-room schools at Lintrathen, Orr, Ravenswood, Stephenfield and Tobacco Creek.

The new building was a handsome structure designed by Winnipeg architects E.D. Tuttle and Mr. Reid. With its commodious brick form (containing four large classrooms), broad sheltering roof, large windows and strategic features—like the small roof-top cupola and focusing entrance pediments—the building is a good example of its type—especially important with the loss of so many Manitoba school buildings over the past decades. The school was closed in 2010 due to declining student enrolment.


Back to Certificate Sites list