Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Heritage Sites > Certificate Sites > 106-2nd Street SW


106-2nd Street SW, Carman

This house, which was built for Christopher & Lydia Hill and their family, is an important example of the kind of large and handsome building that the social and economic elite of Carman built for themselves in the late 19th century.

Mr. Hill, who operated a grocery store, commissioned this house in 1896, making it one of the first large houses in the community. The building is a notable example of American Four-square design, with its cubic shape, sturdy brick walls, low pyramidal roof shape, and numerous and expertly crafted features and details, including fine wooden brackets and exquisite brick details.

The Hill House is one of the five key buildings that help make the block of 2nd Street SW between 2nd and 3rd avenues such a notable area—packed with fine brick houses that proudly express the architectural ambitions of their owners, and of the Town of Carman at its height.


Back to Certificate Sites list