Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Churches > Ukrainian Catholic Churches


Ukrainian Catholic Churches

St. Peter and Paul Church

alt=""

Members of the Ukrainian Catholic Church purchased three acres of land on 27-7-7w in 1919 to use as a cemetery. They held church services in homes and in Emberly School until their church was built. Construction began in 1929 and was accomplished by means of volunteer labour and paid for through fundraising ventures such as caroling.

alt=""

The church served a large area and was known for its St. Peter and Paul Day celebrations and church picnics. Services were seldom held in winter. When the congregation dwindled and could no longer support the cost of upkeep and insurance, the diocese ordered the church burned. A cairn was placed at the site in 2011 by members of the former congregation.

Return to Churches list or Church Cairns list