Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Churches > Anglican Churches


Anglican Churches

Carman St. John's Anglican Church

alt=""

The first Church of England services were held in Boyne School in 1878. A resident Anglican minister, Reverend Cheney, was assigned briefly to the Boyne settlement in 1881. However, from 1882 to 1890, no Anglican minister served in the community. Then, in 1891, St. John’s Parish was formed and a parsonage was built.

The following year, the first Anglican Church was built at the corner of 2nd St. SW and 2nd Ave SW. A new rectory was built in 1959. The old church was torn down and a new one built at the same location in 1964. The bell tower contained an old locomotive bell donated by the C.P.R.

The Anglican Church amalgamated with the Lutheran congregation; the church now serves at the same site as Grace St. John’s Lutheran Anglican Church.

Return to Churches list

 

Graysville All Saints Anglican Church

alt=""

The Anglican minister from Carman also held services in Orr, Ravenswood and Graysville. The Graysville Parish was formed and the first service was held in All Saints Anglican Church in 1907.

The church was deconsecrated in 1966 when the congregation amalgamated with Carman. The building was sold in 1970. The Owen family bought the church building; the vestibule went to H. Stephenson for use as a workshop.

Return to Churches list

 

Homewood St. Paul’s Anglican Church

St. Paul’s Anglican Church was the first church in Homewood. It was built in 1907 and served for many years as the site of marriages, baptisms, funerals, and memorial services for a large congregation. From 1944, services were held in homes in winter because of the cost of heating the church. The church closed in 1953 when the congregation amalgamated with Carman. The building was used for a few years by the Dutch Reformed Church, then it was sold and demolished.

Return to Churches list