Skip navigation
Home > Local Heritage > Cemeteries > Carman Greenwood


Cemeteries: Carman Greenwood

alt=""

The Dufferin History notes that: “By 1890, there was a pressing need for a cemetery in Carman. A public meeting was held in the Presbyterian Church and a committee made up of J.W. Haverson, W.J. Hemenway, D.G. Rodgers, R. McKnight and J. Palmer was appointed to look into the matter. They were empowered to purchase three acres of land '…in the most convenient place, at the lowest possible price, and on the most favourable terms and to act as trustees and exercise such powers as conferred by Sec 145 of Cap9 of the consolidated Statues of Manitoba'."

From this initial action, a cemetery was laid out in the south end of Carman and named Greenwood cemetery. On August 15, 1891, the R.M. of Dufferin passed a motion granting $50 for the purpose of fencing the cemetery.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Church later established a burial ground on the south side of the cemetery.

See also: Historic Sites of Manitoba: Greenwood Cemetery (Carman)

Note: Burials had been made at this location prior to designation of the site as a cemetery. The earliest date that can be read on the early markers is 1874, hence the date on the Greenwood sign.

alt=""Our Lady of Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Church later established a burial ground on the south side of the cemetery.

 

 

 

 



Tour of the Carman Greenwood Cemetery (pdf 7 MB)
pdf icon

Return to List of Cemeteries and Abandoned Burial Sites

A Guide to Funerary Art in Manitoba (pdf 3 MB) pdf icon